My Month in Review
I was at the beach for the first full week of June, and then after that I had my last two weeks of online classes, so I didn’t have much time for blogging or reading. I had hoped to get a lot of reading done while at the beach, but vacation tends to be an “either/or” situation – either I read a ton and am awesome-productive or I basically do no reading, and this year happened to be the latter. I did my most reading at the end of the month, really, so hopefully that’s a sign that this month is going to be awesome and productive.
Music of the Month
I’ve been listening to this playlist of new and new-to-me music for the past month or so – I didn’t do much listening in May, which is why I dubbed it my “May & June 2016” playlist rather than showing a paltry playlist last month. There’s some awesome new music, like I mentioned, like new stuff from The Veronicas and Broods – I can’t wait to see what else The Veronicas do for their upcoming album and I need to finish listening to Broods’s new one, but I’m pretty happy with what I’ve heard so far.
Top Books Read
- When We Collided (Emery Lord): This book wasn’t perfect, but I liked how it was a bit of a deconstruction of a Manic Pixie Dream Girl.
- In the Country We Love (Diane Guerrero and Michelle Burford): This was a great inside look into why we desperately need to change our immigration laws in the US and make sure that no other children are simply ignored because their parents came from other countries.
- The Fixer (Jennifer Lynn Barnes): This book really surprised me by how much I liked it. I sped right through it, wanting to see what was going on but also just wanting to be in this world – I need the sequel now.
- Made You Up (Francesca Zappia): I reread this book for a class (yay for picking your own reading) and I think I enjoyed it a lot more the second time around, making me glad that I bought it mostly because it’s pretty – it helped that I kind of knew what was going on this time around…
- My Lady Jane (Brodi Ashton, Cynthia Hand, and Jodi Meadows): I think my expectations were a little too high for this, but I still enjoyed it, especially once things got going – it was a little slow for me at first.
- The Dream Thieves (Maggie Stiefvater): This took me way too long to reread – I mean, it was a long and busy month, but it felt like it was moving fairly slowly at first. I still liked it, but it’s not my favorite of the series – it did make me hate Kavinsky even more than I already did, though, which was a bit of a feat.
Quote of the Month
“Sure. Normal. Because whenever I walk anywhere, I always spoon the person in front of me.”
– Diplomatic Immunity
I’m actually reading this right now, but when I read this bit near the beginning, it was still June, so I’m counting it!
- Sci-Fi and Identity Issues // Alex + Ada by Jonathan Luna and Sarah Vaughn
- My Babies Are Even Cuter As Babies // Beautiful People
Oops, not much posting this past month, huh? That’s what happens when you don’t get around to doing your monthly rewind until the month is half over…
Books I’m Excited About
I have all of these books except The Unexpected Everything (*sob*), so I will read all these books and I will be happy (don’t let me down, books)!
Upcoming Releases I’m Excited About
My list of new books coming out that I’m excited about has slowed down for the second half of the year, as it tends to do. I am super-excited for Jenn Marie Thorne’s second book and also hope to reread her debut sometime this month.
Challenges – Progress
2/10 (the same)
10/25 (the same)
15/10 – seriously, I am doing awesome at this challenge! Let’s see if I can double my goal!
Books Read This Month: 7
Books Read for Challenges This Month: 6
Pages Read This Month: 2,661
Average Rating This Month: 4.07
Highest Rating This Month: 4.5
Lowest Rating This Month (Excluding DNFs): 3.5
Total Books Read for Challenges: 49
Total Pages Read: 18,018
Total Average Rating: 3.96
Favorite Non-Book Things
1. The Mindy Project: I’m finally catching up on this amazing show, seeing all the great (and super-emotional, like whoa) stuff that’s happened since it moved to Hulu. I still have a good 15 or so episodes to go, but I’m taking my time a little and enjoying it all.
2. Selfie: I’ve been rewatching this gem of a show that really should have lasted way more than one season. Karen Gillan and John Cho have awesome chemistry, and there are plenty of interesting and quirky secondary characters as well. Now I have to go rewatch the episode that this heartbreaking scene below comes from and let my heart break all over again.
3. Brain Dead: I started watching this new show on CBS and I love it. It’s absurd and quirky and has manipulative behind-the-scenes stuff that goes in D.C. and I am very put out by the fact that there won’t be a new episode this week because it’s a Monday show and Monday is the Fourth of July in the good ol’ US of A. I’m
impatiently waiting for the fourth episode.
A Goal for July
Do way better this month than last month, both with reading and blogging. And finally do a post about my sixth (!) anniversary, which happened this past weekend and I haven’t really acknowledged get because I AM LAZY, ok?